Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Septandy Video: Repairing an original TRS-80 Model I

In case anyone actually reads this, long time no see.

I took a long hiatus from working on my homebrew video project because of mostly work-related stress. Realistically I'm not sure how much hobby time I'm going to have for a while now, but since it's September, which a subculture of the Internet refers to "SepTandy", I decided to post a Tandy related video or two.

In late August I saw a TRS-80 Model I keyboard in unknown condition for a "reasonable" Buy It Now price (by today's standards) and decided to bite. I already have a Model I, the unit I bought at a garage sale in a huge bundle back around 1990, but it's had a very rough life. Worst case I thought I might get some usable parts for that machine, which at the very least needs a new keyboard, best case I thought I might get a "runner", or at least one that could be made to run, without too much trouble. It turned out the machine I bought mostly runs, so the next few videos on my channel are going to focus on trying to fix it. Here's the first in the series.


Spoiler: If I can get this machine running I think I'm going to try refocusing my DIY video project temporarily back towards the "retro video card" goal instead of going straight to a full computer. If things work out I'll explain why in a future episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY-A-Fake-Floppy-Drive Video

 New video posted to Youtube, about hacking up a cheap Gotek floppy emulator into a self-contained retro floppy drive substitute for classic...